Thursday, November 22, 2012

Ouch!


We have all been sick lately. On Tuesday I took the girls to the pediatrician's office to check for ear infections and strep since Avery had a fever of 104+ and Olivia had a nasty barking cough. Verdict was Avery has a cold and Olivia has croup (a nasty extension of a cold). No big deal. Push fluids and give Tylenol if Avery's fever creeps up to 104 again or Olivia's gets to 100.3.

On our way out I let Avery push the button on the elevator -- as usual. The door closes and we ride down. I had Olivia in the Kinderpack carrier and Avery was in front of us mostly hidden under Olivia in the carrier. Once we got to the 1st floor we go to walk out. For some reason -- maybe she tripped or she just reached out to touch it because it's shiny -- Avery put her hand on the elevator door. The door continued to open and slid into the slot in the wall taking Avery's hand with it. As soon as I saw her hand squished in the wall I immediately reacted and grabbed her hand.

At first it looked fine. Just some peeled skin. Then the blood. Oh my gosh the blood. It was everywhere. Avery was freaking out. Crying. I'm not sure from the shock of the blood or if it actually hurt because I'm told cuts as deep as this are usually numbed by shock. I pushed the button to go back up to the doctor's office and run in holding Avery's hand in the air. I drop the diaper bag and Avery's toy doctor kit that we just had to bring with us and ask for someone to help us.

The nurses and front office staff were a little shocked, but they got Avery's amazing doctor who told the nurse just what to do. After a saline soak and a little pressure it was decided that they needed to close the wounds. Luckily the doctor could do it in the office and could use glue instead of actual stitches because that would have been even more traumatizing I think. Thankfully one of the nurses too Olivia so I could focus all my attention on Avery and helping her through this.

We got it all glued and bandaged and her calmed down and all she wanted was Daddy. Unfortunately Justin was at work so we decided he would just meet us at home. By now Olivia had fallen asleep so the nurse who had her walked with us out to the car. I got Avery all buckled in and put Olivia in. Before we even pulled out of the parking lot she was asleep; exhausted from all she had been though on top of it being regular naptime.

Poor girl has been such a trooper. She has proudly worn her bandage every day and allowed me to change the dressing as necessary. It doesn't even seem to bother her. She almost never complains about it and when she does it's just to say she needs help with a toy because she can't use the fingers on that hand. Now over a week later it is healing nicely and the doctor says it will not likely leave a scar and if it does they will be so small that by the time she is grown up her hand will be so much bigger you won't even be able to notice them.

Day 2
Day 8


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! That looks like it was so painful! I hope she's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete